Did you know?
When you’re looking for relief from sore muscles and swollen joints during pregnancy, don’t think twice! , book for massage! There are plenty of reasons why you should add massage to your daily life, whether it is a quick foot rub from your partner or a prenatal massage from a professional. Not only will it relax your muscles and feel amazing, it also comes with multiple health benefits.
How it work?
A pregnancy massage is a full body massage performed by a certified prenatal massage therapist that is similar to our Lymphatic Drainage Massage except for a few modifications with body positioning that can ensure the safety and comfort for both Mom and Baby.
Relaxation plays an important role during pregnancy. A woman needs to be able to rest and recharge, to have time to focus on herself and her baby. The opportunity to relax can help reduce stress levels, which can then help improve sleep, ease aches and pains, and boost energy levels.
Some of the common challenges that come with the many changes a woman’s body goes through during pregnancy include lower back pain, shoulder pain, hip pain, leg cramps, insomnia, low energy levels, heartburn, pelvic pain, itchy skin, and mood swings.
Pregnancy massage also boosts lymphatic drainage to help reduce swelling. Massage is useful in alleviating sciatic pain which some women can experience late in their pregnancy.
Other benefits of pregnancy massage include the reduction of lower back and shoulder pain, reducing muscle tension and tightness, relieving headaches, reducing tension or anxiety and encouraging better sleep.
Benefits from Pregnancy Massage
There are a number of health benefits Pregnancy Massage can bring. Some of these health benefits include the following:
- Improved sleep quality. Deep tissue massage helps the increased production of melatonin hormone and serotonin compound in the body. As a result, people get to have their sleep rhythms regulated. When a pregnant woman receives a massage, it improves the quality of her sleep which promotes a good overall effect on the body.
- Lowers stress and anxiety levels. Cortisol is referred to as the stress hormone. When a pregnant woman is introduced to massage therapy as part of prenatal care, the level of cortisol in her body is reduced significantly. This lets her experience good hormones that have been known to improve mood, vitality, and immunity.
- Lessens swelling of the joints. Oedema is a medical term used for swelling. It is a common occurrence during pregnancy, and is caused by low circulation and extra pressure on the blood vessels. In order to stimulate the soft tissues and lower the buildup of fluids in swollen joints, deep tissue massage is recommended for pregnant women. At the same time, massage is able to improve the lymph system’s ability to remove tissue waste in the body.
- Alleviates muscle pain and cramps. Pregnant women also commonly experience muscle pain and cramps. These discomforts usually occur due to muscular tension and heightened motor neuron activity. With the help of a specialist experienced in pregnancy massage Melbourne, these can be greatly reduced.
- Reduces nerve pain. A number of women experience sciatic nerve pain, especially in the late stages of their pregnancy. This is because their uterus rests on the muscles in the lower back and pelvic floor. When this happens, the pressure extends tension to the upper and lower leg muscles which result in swelling in these areas. Thanks to Melbourne massage specialists that offer prenatal care therapy, mothers are able to get the help they need in releasing the tension they feel in nearby muscles. Through massage, women get to experience less sciatic nerve pain throughout their pregnancy.
- Lowers risk for premature birth. Studies have shown that pregnant mothers who regularly received prenatal massage therapy were less likely to encounter a premature birth as compared to women who did not get a massage throughout their pregnancy.
- Reduces the baby’s stress hormones. Apart from helping the pregnant mother, massage also lowers the stress hormones in the baby. Research has shown that massage plays a vital factor in raising the baby’s cortisol levels even if they are still inside their mother’s womb. Because of this, it is safe to say that mothers aren’t the only ones who receive the health benefits of pregnancy massage.